If your browser supports Refresh, you'll be transported to richardirvine.net.nz in 5 seconds, otherwise, select the link manually. Thank you

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Rugby without music? No Way Jose!




Once, I hated rugby. It was that stupid thing my dad and brothers watched Sunday afternoons when 90210 was on. AND they made the lounge stink like beer and wet wool. Eeeeeew!

Then Bev from the office dragged me along to watch the Hurricanes play the Whoever-they-ares. I wasn't holding out much hope - chardonnay came in a funny plastic bottle, I got sauce all down the front of my top, and there were no cute guys in the crowd. Looked like Rugby was fully gunna suck.

And then... they started playing MUSIC. Woah. Who knew that just playing music turned rugby from something fully stupid to a night out that totally rules! "I don't knowwwwwww - oh - oh - oh! WHY DOES LOVE! DO THIS TO MEEEE!" "HEEEEEEY HEY BABY! OOOH! AAAAH!" Then the DJ played the Feelers! And Robbie Williams! We were dancing like it was a night club! I've got to hand it to them - Rugby certainly is a total entertainment package!

The Rubgy DJ doesn't just play the best music - he's soooo funny! In the very first huddle thing, one guy went off injured - and he played 'Another one bites the dust!' Hah hah hah! He's such a hard case! Then the ref made some stupid call, and he played Wet Wet Wet's "Sweet little mystery!" Hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah! What a crack up!

Next thing you know the home rugby guys went ahead on the scoreboard, and he stuck on 'One step ahead' by Split Enz. Classic. He's funny AND clever. I go every week now, it totally fits in with my lifestyle. I get my face painted, and wave my big finger glove around.

I have to take my hat off to the Rugby marketing guys (or my dreadlock wig). Before, Rugby was just stupid and smelly, and now, with music, it's a perfect Friday night out with friends and family. The Sevens is even better - there's more music and less Rugby! Choice! I buy the official Hurricances Jerseys every year just to say thanks! My wardrobe's full of them! See you there!

No comments: